Monday, August 22, 2011

Casserole

I'm trying to be a good wife. I own a dust buster. I figured out how to get all the towels folded so that they fit on the tiny shelf in my bathroom. The other day I took these efforts to the extreme. Not only did I try to cook for my husband, but I attempted the ultimate Mormon meal. 

a casserole. 

Things started out alright. I chopped some carrots. I cooked some chicken. I even made rice in my brand new handy-dandy rice cooker, courtesy of some kind wedding attendee. Things were looking bright for me and my little casserole, until about half way through the process. While I was slicing a lemon, I sliced my finger as shown in exhibit A. 

Exhibit A: 



  Knives are sharp. They are for cutting food, not fingers. Fortunately after the profuse bleeding, I figured that out. The lemon will not defeat me! I carried on. I mixed, and sprinkled, and sifted. And then it was time to put it in the oven. I did so. Set the timer, and waited anxiously. I opened my nostrils to the sweet aroma of.... burning. I opened the oven and everything seemed fine, but this was the smell of a fire. I finally opened the drawer below the oven, and out came the flames as seen in exhibit B.

Exhibit B:
(If I had remained calm and let the flames burn while I took a picture then my house would most likely have suffered mild damage. Just picture a campfire in your mind.)


Apparently its a good idea to take the wrappings of the cooking sheets off before you put them in their place below the gas stove. And now there was a fire in my house. A real life smoking, burning, fire. Luckily husbands are useful in this situation. Nick put the fire out and the cooking continued. When I took it out it looked....ok. See exhibit C.

Exhibit C:


Dinner was mediocre. I've had better, but I've also had worse. Nick was really sweet and did a convincing job at acting like he sincerely liked it. I am grateful for that. I am also grateful that I still have fingers, and a place to live. It was traumatic, but I'm still alive and will not let it stop me from casseroles in the future. Hopefully the next one will not be post worthy.








1 comment:

  1. I can so relate! Why is it when my best intentions are at work catastrophe happens? I cannot tell you how many times I have "skillfully" used knives to slice my finger (infact last year on a "good mom and wife day" I ended up at instacare for stitches). :( I now know that using a knife is a talent, an art and that fortunately I was blessed with 10 fingers to abuse while learning. Good luck! Glad boy scout Nick was around to help with the fire. :). Hope you 2 are doing well. We'll talk soon. Heidi

    ReplyDelete